Join almost 1 million
monthly
readers!

Contact Me

Coaching and Consultation

3 months to learn Spanish - Start Date 01/01/13 | My language mission and my log | Forum

A A A

Please consider registering

Register | Lost password?
Advanced Search

— Forum Scope —

— Match —

— Forum Options —

Wildcard usage:
*  matches any number of characters    %  matches exactly one character

Minimum search word length is 3 characters - maximum search word length is 84 characters

Topic RSS
3 months to learn Spanish - Start Date 01/01/13
January 1, 2013
15:05
sharp21
Forum Posts: 5
$0

Once again I find myself working in Mexico & it sure would be helpful to speak the lingo!

Starting today with language deconstruction ala Tim Ferris.  Learn 10 words every day to get the 1000 most common in 3 months.

Vaminos!
S.

January 1, 2013
17:42
sharp21
$0

And just finished watching Shooter with spanish subtitles!  

January 1, 2013
19:56
avena

Forum Posts: 6
$0

Hey, Sharp.  Are you up for some friendly competition?  I also have a 3-month Spanish goal--specifically to be conversationally fluent my the end of March.  I know I often start with good intentions, then life happens…but I know the power of some friendly social pressure.  Are you up for a 3-month Spanish Face Off?  =)  I'm thinking we post our goals, progress, etc. and see who gets the furthest on their goals (or some variation of that).  Winner earns bragging rights on Fluent in 3 Months Forum.  Que te parece?

January 1, 2013
20:59
sharp21
$0

You're on!  I see we both signed up to the forum on the same day as well.

Why don't we each post what we worked on each day in this thread?  Maybe share some ideas & resources?

S.

January 6, 2013
07:28
sharp21
$0

Just about a week in & going strong!  I am in Mexico for another 10 days so am speaking to the locals as much as possible. I've also got a few phrase sheets taped to the wall that I study from the shower, brushing teeth etc.

I fell into analysis paralysis WRT a flashcards system and spent some time (that could have been better spent studying spanish!) over at AJATT & SuperMemo.  I eventually settled on Flashcard Elite as it imports Quizlet decks & follows SuperMemo's SRS algorithm…

I'll get started on that today!
S.

January 7, 2013
10:58
Peter
Forum Posts: 1
$0

I just started learning spanish as well (started 3 January).  I am going on a trekking trip to Peru in March so that is my motivation.  

I have some spanish-speaking neighbors (one of whom only speaks spanish) so hopefully I can get some good conversations in with them.  I've mainly been studying phrases from the lonely planet phrasebook and listening to the podcast "learn spanish with maria fernandez."  

I am going to focus a lot on listening.  I previsouly lived in Japan, took a few japanese classes, and studied a lot.  I could speak quite well, but had a very hard time listening because I mainly learned from books at the beginning.  I also got the iphone app "learn spanish" from lucidifi.  It is basically just 1000 flashcards, but it will say the word when the card pops up so I can study vocabulary purely by listening.

January 7, 2013
13:18
sharp21
$0

I watched another spanish subtitled movie last night & started working through Quizlet flashcards.  I am also starting to create 10000 sentences & work on that as well

S.

Forum Timezone: America/New_York

Most Users Ever Online: wp_m8bqz1_sferrorlog

Currently Online: Lingo, profCinzia
45 Guest(s)

Currently Browsing this Page:
1 Guest(s)

Top Posters:

Stephanie S: 742

Kevinpost: 499

Randybvain: 450

this_just_in: 328

Alasdair: 304

sipes23: 260

Member Stats:

Guest Posters: 9

Members: 61474

Moderators: 2

Admins: 5

Forum Stats:

Groups: 5

Forums: 16

Topics: 4711

Newest Members: Steve, sys9012, afrikahakon, encaroli, mcnay.j

Moderators: Lingo (605), anno (205)

Administrators: Benny (485), balint (0), tweaky (0), AlexW (0), The Duke (0)