The Fluent in 3 Months road trip is in full swing now! We’ve already done official events in the UK, Ireland, Amsterdam, California, Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, Ontario and Quebec, and in the last couple of days I’ve zoomed through Vermont and New Hampshire!
The west coast and Canada trip has been a huge success with standing room only in pretty much every single venue! Many languages were practised and a lot of people have told me that they felt inspired to finally dive into their own languages. I even got some emails after the event that they’ve had their first Skype conversation in the language 🙂
But what is the Fluent in 3 Months road trip all about? Since our US East Coast / Midwest / South tour has begun, I thought it was the best time to address that!
You are all welcome to come along and get the best language learning encouragement you can imagine! It doesn’t cost a cent to attend – you are welcome to get your book signed, but you can come along even if you don’t have a book or aren’t buying one.
What happens at FI3M events?
Definitely not your typical book signing, I consider these to be the best opportunity to get completely free language encouragement in person. The format of the events is generally:
- 20 minute overview of my language learning advice, for those not so familiar with it yet
- Chance for the audience to ask questions. People hit me with whatever doubts they have and I give my best answers. This is the core of the event, and I like to leave no question unanswered, or no doubt not dealt with. This is always people’s favourite part, so I devote most of the time to it (30-40 minutes generally)
- Language exchange practice. After my talk, I get people to separate into small groups to practise the language they are interested in. When we have enough people, there are generally a few with a great level and real practice takes place. Others get the chance to meet fellow learners in their city and exchange ideas.
- A chance to speak with me one-on-one; I like to talk to each person for a couple of minutes, while they come up to get their book signed (no need to have a book though)
- Also a chance to speak to Lauren my wonderful polyglot-in-training girlfriend and ask her about our travel logistics or the back-end workings of the blog, since she knows everything I do for that. You can also ask her how her Russian project is coming along, or how her Esperanto one went.
- Photos! Join me in one of my token silly pose photos. A great example is this book war pose with John Fotheringham of Mastering Japanese, when I was in Seattle at the top of this post.
We’ve starting in the very north east, working our way down to DC, across to Chicago, onward down to Florida, and finally heading over to New Orleans. Driving the entire way, and sometimes moving cities every other day! It’s intensive, but a great chance to spread some language learning encouragement 🙂
So if you are in any of the following cities, please confirm your attendance on Facebook and I’ll see you there!
- Burlington, VT, USA, July 30th
- Manchester, NH, USA, July 31st
- Portland, Maine, USA, August 1st
- Boston, USA, August 4th
- Hartford, CT, USA, August 7th
- Providence, USA, August 8th
- New York, USA, August 10th
- Philadelphia, PA, USA, August 12th
- Baltimore, USA, August 13th
- Washington DC, USA, August 14th
- Pittsburgh, PA, USA, August 18th
(All events confirmed with venues at your local bookstores!)
We’ll also do Baltimore, in October on our way out of the states, since Lauren is from there.
- Columbus, OH, USA, August 21st
- Indianapolis, IN, USA, August 23rd
- Chicago, USA, August 24th
- Louisville, KY, USA, August 28th
- Nashville, TN, USA, August 30th
- Charlotte, NC, USA, August 31st
- Charleston, SC, USA, September 5th
(Note that these events don’t have a confirmed v
enue as of yet. We are doing final confirmations on most of them, only solidifying the time it takes place, but otherwise if you have connections with your local bookstore, please email me at firstname.lastname@example.org and we may sign there if the date is available. Definitely sign up to the free event and you’ll get a notification on Facebook very soon about where it will take place)
- Miami, FL, USA, September 8th (Event added recently by popular demand with venue/time confirmed)
- Orlando, FL, USA, September 10th
- Tampa, FL, USA, September 11th
- Tampa, FL, USA, September 13th
- Atlanta, GA, USA, September 15th
- Montgomery, AL, USA, September 16th
- Jackson, MS, USA, September 17th
- New Orleans, LA, USA, September 26th
(Note that most of these events don’t hav
e a confirmed venue as of yet. We are doing final confirmations on most of them, only solidifying the time it takes place, but otherwise if you have connections with your local bookstore, please email me at email@example.com. Definitely sign up to the free event and you’ll get a notification on Facebook very soon about where it will take place)
What’s next after the US book tour?
Yes, I know that we are missing a lot of cities – it’s pretty hard to set up a tour like this, especially since this is entirely self-funded and self organized (not through the publisher), but we will have successfully covered 25 states (as well as 3 Canadian provinces) by October!
Next summer we’ll be back to continue the tour in other states/provinces and visit certain cities we may have missed in states we’ve already been in.
After October of this year though, we will be in Asia again (more on that later) and making our way to Australia by the new year, so look out for info on Fi3m events there!
In another post, I’ll share more details on how this tour is going for those interested in the travel side of things.
Any questions about the tour? Otherwise, I hope to see you at one of these events soon 🙂 Let us know your thoughts or questions in the comments below!