A little tradition I’ve kept up since starting the blog, is to give you a video tour of almost every place I temporarily call home! For instance, in English I showed you my penthouse in Rio, my lovely flat in Medellín, the flat around the corner from the Danube in Budapest, and the beach cottage I was renting in the Philippines.
But I’ve also added the language dimension doing a multilingual tour of my flat in Berlin, an ASL tour of my home in Austin Texas, a glance at where I was living in Amsterdam in Dutch, a tour of my flat in Brazil in Arabic, an incredibly slow look at my tiny studio in Taiwan in Mandarin, and the most ridiculous one of all, a tour of my home in Chicago in Klingon!
Of course, the places I live in are very affordable each and every time, and that’s certainly the case for me now in Spain because I found it using local channels.
Keeping with that tradition, today you get to see my home in Valencia, but in Japanese!
As I explained for when I did a similar thing last year, you can do a lot for your language skills by learning a script off by heart, and a tour of my apartment just happens to be a script I like to learn off. My next video will probably also be scripted, and then I imagine all other ones for the rest of the project will be spontaneous conversations.
I made a few basic mistakes, but I pointed them out in the video as they happen. I also tried to have my thinking moments using Japanese sounding hesitations. If you have any feedback, other than the mistakes pointed out visually within the video already, let me know!
Enter your email in the top right of the site to subscribe to the Language Hacking League e-mail list for way more tips sent directly to your inbox!
If you enjoyed this post, you will love my TEDx talk! You can get much better details of how I recommend learning a language if you watch it here.
This article was written by Benny Lewis
Comments: If you liked this post or have anything to say, please leave a comment! I love reading them
Just keep in mind that I’ll delete any rude, trolling, spammy, irrelevant or way off-topic comments. Also, use your REAL name, not a brand or business one, and don’t link to your site in the comments unless it’s relevant to this post.
If you have a general language learning question, please ask it in the forums. Otherwise please use the search tool on the right for any other question not related to this post.
- First week in Istanbul, where I live & first (video) attempt at Turkish! (Very similar post)
- Istanbul not Constantinople, Benny's music video in Turkish (Very similar post)
- Multilingual San Francisco: Susanna takes on Spanish, Italian & Russian; Benny interviews Brazilians in Portuguese [video] (Very similar post)
- Tour of my home... in Klingon! [video] (Very similar post)
- 2,000km train journey video: Benny gets his Chinese name, makes new friends and meets pandas! (Very similar post)
- "Hacking language learning": My new and improved TEDx talk that includes the best polyglot videos online. Please share!! (RANDOM - Very similar post)