Things are very busy with team FI3M – we have 4 books being launched this month, hundreds of thousands of readers to send language learning news to via email and social media, and lots of other fun things going on, and we need your help!
Benny is looking for someone to help him with his immense amount of tasks, and with your help he can focus his energy better on creating cool videos and writing more blog articles to inspire language learners. This is a great opportunity to see how an online business like Fluent in 3 Months is run, and is a paid position. You can work from wherever you like – from home, in a cafe, and while living abroad.
First, make sure you fit these requirements:
- You are free for 20 or more hours per week,
- You can follow these hours for at least the rest of this year, and ideally longer
- You are a native English speaker or a C2 certified English speaker
- You speak at least one other language at a C1 or higher level
- You have been following Fluent in 3 Months for at least a year
- You are tech savvy, and love to take initiative, and are interested in a unique/challenging position, where there is lots to learn
If so, then please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject “FI3M position” and include the following in your email:
- An introduction, and then 1-2 paragraphs describing your work experience (you can expand on this if/when we follow-up with you)
- Your availability (hours per week, start and end times of availability converted to EST, days of the week you can work, how many months you are available or if open-ended availability, and finally when you can start)
- English native confirmation, or name of certificate that confirms English level
- Other language(s) spoken and levels on CEFRL scale. Approximation of your level is OK for now.
- The email address you used to sign up to the “Language Hacking League” more than a year ago, OR the subject line of an email you've sent to me a year or more ago, OR a link to a tweet / blog post / Facebook update etc. that you referenced Benny Lewis or Fluent in 3 Months that's older than a year, OR something else confirming familiarity with FI3M (Amazon book receipt etc.) from before September 1st 2015.
- Your nationality, where you live, and if you can work as a freelancer/contractor, and if so a confirmation of previous work like that.
If you can't satisfy any of the first 5 criteria, please don't send in an application this time – we may have something in future and you'll hear about it in a mention in the Friday emails!
There is no need to send in a CV/resume, until the next round.
Next, please carry out the following 3 tasks as part of a “test”:
- Download and install any screencast software you like and record a quick video showing how to change a label on an email in Gmail. Log into your own Gmail account or create a new one to demonstrate it, taking any email you like and changing it to a label called “Benny test”. Include a link to the resulting video in your email, embedded on the screencast site, or as a YouTube upload. The video can be short, and it's OK if it has the screencast watermark branding on it. No need for sound.
- Go to speedtest.net and run it on your home or main working network, and take a screenshot of the result. The screenshot should only include the relevant information about your internet speed, and not the entire screen. Include the image as an attachment in your email. Very fast Internet is not a necessary requirement, but taking the screenshot is.
- Answer the question: What nationality was the first ever polyglot that Benny met? (Hint: He said this at the start of a video of him giving a talk)
That's it! We'll review any applications over the next couple of days and send you final test tasks or follow-up emails, and confirm that we can start even a few days from now. All information about wages, precise tasks involved etc. will be provided to successful candidates after this first round.
Looking forward to your emails!