Full disclosure: This post contains affiliate links. ?
Learning how to speak Spanish? It can be tricky to find high quality online Spanish lessons that don’t cost a fortune.
You want to learn Spanish, and you’re willing to put in the time, but where can you go to learn?
With this question in mind, I’ve put together a list of online Spanish classes and lessons that won’t cost you a single cent. While some of these Spanish courses have a paid service, many of them are completely free, and all of them provide a hefty selection of free Spanish lessons that are perfect for getting started with Spanish.
Ready? Let’s get to it! Here's how to learn Spanish:
Learn Spanish with Free Online Spanish Podcasts
Podcasts are one of my favourite ways to learn a language. You can take them with you wherever you go. Then, anytime you have a spare moment you can listen to native speakers teach you their language.
There are a lot of Spanish language podcasts out there, but not many that provide a complete language learning programme to help you build up your skills. I prefer podcasts that provide a step-by-step Spanish class. Here are a few worth checking out:
- Spanish Pod 101: Innovative Language, who produce this podcast, are my go-to publisher when I’m starting to learn a new language. It’s free to sign up and learn the basics. You’ll have to pay for more advanced lessons and premium material, although it’s worth it.
- Coffee Break Spanish: Get a daily dose of Spanish in just a few minutes with this popular podcast.
- Show Time Spanish: From the same folks that brought you Coffee Break Spanish, this series is for intermediate and advanced learners.
- Finally Learn Spanish – Beyond the Basics: Perfect for those who studied Spanish in the past and need focused practise on listening and speaking.
- Insta Spanish Lessons: This popular Spanish language podcast features weekly lessons for students of all levels.
- Notes in Spanish: A husband (British) and wife (Spanish) team share lessons on real spoken Spanish for beginner, intermediate and advanced learners.
- Learn Spanish with La Casa Rojas: Intermediate and advanced Spanish learners will appreciate that in this podcast absolutely no English is spoken.
Learn Spanish with Free Audio Lessons
Not all Spanish classes come in podcast form. Here are some free Spanish audio lessons that you can get without subscribing on iTunes or using an app:
- 123 Teach Me Spanish: Hundreds of lessons in a structured format make this a fantastic starting point for learning Spanish online.
- FSI Basic Spanish: The Foreign Service Institute’s 55 lesson Spanish language course was developed by the United States government and includes downloadable PDF textbooks. It focuses on the Latin American dialect.
- Spanish for Beginners: A compact selection of eight lessons that are perfect for beginner Spanish learners.
YouTube: Free Video Spanish Lessons
YouTube is a treasure trove of Spanish language materials. The following channels will provide hours of useful Spanish language instruction.
- Professor Jason Spanish: Professor Jason’s videos have close to five million views in total. His extensive video lessons cover a wide variety of Spanish language topics.
- Spanish Dict: These expertly produced videos are incredibly popular, and have a high-energy style to keep you engaged wihen the going gets tough.
- Spanish Pod 101: This series of free Spanish video lessons from Innovative Language provides an excellent taster if you’re thinking about signing up for their podcast.
- Spanish Sessions: These 48 videos are recordings of one-to-one Spanish classes, in Spanish. Don’t worry if you’re just starting out, as they’re subtitled.
- Agustin Iruela: These lessons are produced according to the CERFL levels from A1 to B2. They’re a hidden gem, so don’t tell everyone!
- Master Spanish Language: A series of 40 Spanish lessons for the complete beginner, with barebones production values. Close to half a million learners must be onto something.
More Free Spanish Video Lessons
Besides Spanish lessons available on YouTube, there are some clever and well-produced Spanish language video material from top notch sources.
- 5 Minute Spanish: A self-paced Spanish course from the University of Arkansas that you can complete in just five minutes a day.
- Destinos: an Introduction to Spanish: This 52 episode series teaches Spanish through an engrossing telenova – a Spanish language television drama.
- Mi Vida Loca: This immersive video mystery was produced by the BBC to engage Spanish learners.
- Talk Spanish: Another offering from BBC with 10 focused lessons for total beginners to learning Spanish.
Free Online Spanish Courses and Systems
Some of these Spanish courses have lessons for sale. All include free Spanish lessons to help you get started with your Spanish language journey.
- FluentU Spanish: Real world videos make this course unique and entertaining.
- StudySpanish.com: Over 1,000 pages of free Spanish learning materials.
- Spanish MOOC: Free beginner courses with real teachers on hand to answer your questions about how to learn Spanish.
- Duolingo Spanish: 38.5 million users mean that Duolingo is one of the most popular online Spanish language courses around. And it’s completely free. Check out our review to learn more.
- Medical Spanish for Healthcare Providers: A series of lessons and resources custom made for those in the medical field.
Which Free Online Spanish Language Lessons Do You Use?
It is amazing how many high quality resources are available to learn Spanish online, at no cost. Though I’ve featured 25 places you can learn Spanish for free, I’m sure there are many more. What have I missed? Let me know in the comments!
Want more? Check out Benny's favourite Spanish resources.