Polyglot and avid traveller, Doree Huneven, joins Benny Lewis and Elizabeth Bruckner to talk about her experience learning multiple languages, travelling the world, and how the violin has made her a better learner.
Doree shares why she thinks discipline is the key to being a successful language learner and having fun, and why the Fluent in 3 Months Challenge is so appealing, even to an experienced language learner. We actually guarantee that anyone who completes the Fluent in 3 Months Challenge will have a 15-minute conversation in their new language after 90 days of learning. You can find out more here.
Some of the topics brought up during the interview are:
- How a family camping trip to Mexico sparked her love of languages
- Teaching English in Egypt and learning Arabic
- How studying and teaching the violin help with language learning
- Why discipline is an invaluable asset
- The value of being active in the Fi3M Challenge community
- Why, as an experienced language learner, she still joined the Fi3M Challenge
- Developing communities as you travel
- The desire to connect with people as a driving force for learning
- How language resources have changed over the last 50 years
- Mimicking phrases, copying body language, and blending in with locals when you travel
- Saving money, cutting costs, and making travel more financially accessible
- The “Doree Huneven Reward System”
- What Doree does with her “sleeping” languages
Podcast theme: “A New Beginning” by Shannon Kennedy
Join Our Patreon
Enjoy the podcast? Subscribe to our Patreon to get access to bonus content and monthly exclusives.