Language Mastery creator and author, John Fotheringham, joins Benny Lewis and Shannon Kennedy to discuss “anywhere immersion”, learning difficult languages, and finding the fun in language learning.
John has a wealth of experience learning Japanese and Mandarin, which he shares with us in this episode. If you’re interested in learning either of these, or any other “difficult” language, this is the episode for you.
- Master Japanese
- Master Chinese
- Gretchen Rubin’s Four Tendencies
- Total Physical Response
- Is Japanese Hard to Learn?
- 5 Steps to Learn Japanese Anywhere in the World
- Gabriel Wyner
- The Power of When
- Atomic Habits
- Four Tendencies Book
- Better Than Before
Some of the topics brought up during the interview are:
- Learning “difficult” languages like Japanese and Mandarin
- How to immerse yourself in a language at home
- Practising your language with Alexa
- Learning languages through activities that you love
- Living abroad and creating memories in the local languages
- How to choose language learning tools and methods suited to you personally
- Fun ways to learn languages
- Experiencing languages as a learner, teacher, and mentor
- Recommended books for language learners
Podcast theme: “A New Beginning” by Shannon Kennedy
Join Our Patreon
Enjoy the podcast? Subscribe to our Patreon to get access to bonus content and monthly exclusives.