So you'd like to see my Fluent in 3 Months language missions?
You've come to the right place!
I set up Fluent in 3 Months to share language hacking tips and to tell the real, gritty stories of how language hacking works for me.
For over a decade I travelled around the world, and whenever I was in a new country for more than a few days, I set myself the mission of learning and speaking as much of the language as I could in that time.
In 2009, I began sharing these stories on my blog.
These are “case studies” in language hacking, if you like.
Later, I started sharing missions where I’d learn the language of one country while living in another country – such as learning Arabic while living in Brazil, or learning Japanese while living in Spain.
More recently, I've settled down in New York, and my new mission has been creating language courses. Meanwhile, Fluent in 3 Months has grown into a team, and other team members (including my partner, Lauren) have taken on the mantle of language missions.
Below are all my language missions – and all the Fluent in 3 Months language missions – with all the glory and all the “failure”. Remember that a cornerstone of language hacking is the willingness to make mistakes – and I'm completely open about where things went well, and where they went wrong.
I’ll keep adding to this list as new missions are published on Fluent in 3 Months.
I’m sure you’ll find something in these missions to inspire your own language learning.
Here they are – enjoy! And please leave a comment to let me know about your language missions.
Benny's Czech Mission (2009)
- Is it possible to become fluent in a language in 3 months?
- Combining learning languages with your hobbies: My first video in Czech!
- Hitting a brick wall in your language progress
- Why Czech isn’t as hard to learn as you think
Benny's “Become Brazilian” Mission (2009)
- My next mission: Become Brazilian in 3 months!
- Summary of month 1 in the mission to become Brazilian
- Summary of month 2 in mission to become Brazilian
- Mission complete! Partial success – What will Benny’s next mission be?
Benny's Hungarian Mission (2010)
- Mission: Conversational Hungarian in 3 months
- My first weeks in Budapest: Hungarian mission update
- Why Hungarian is easy
- Speaking with mistakes quickly is better than speaking “perfectly” slowly
Benny's Thai Mission (2010)
- Mission: Read and speak Thai in 8 weeks
- Any phonetic script can be learned in just a few hours
- Reading Thai and its tones isn’t as hard as you think
- Don’t just stand there… Say something!
- Getting along with other learners & conclusions of Thai mission
Benny's Advanced German Mission (2010)
- German 3 month mission: Sit C2 exam
- First Week in Germany, No English. Here’s How I Did It
- First month in Berlin & 8 language 6 dialect tour of my flat
- I’m Fluent in German! Exam Results and Analysis
- Are Germans Rude? Killing the Stereotypes
- Is it True that German is Hard to Learn?
Benny's Tagalog Mission (2011)
- New Language Mission: Speak Tagalog (Filipino) in 2 months
- Tagalog: a fun language to learn in the Philippines!
- Challenges in the Philippines + video in Tagalog
Benny's American Sign Language Mission (2011)
- Next mission: American Sign Language!
- Settling in, first impressions of American Sign Language & video tour of my house
- American Sign Language: It’s not all in the hands
- Video in ASL: Gallaudet university, city of American Sign Language and Deaf culture
- 6 languages, 1 singer, 1 signer
Benny's Dutch Mission (2011)
- Fluent in TWO months: The Dutch mission!
- 25 Speed Dates in Dutch
- 6 week level of Dutch
- Dutch vs. German: What’s the Difference?
Benny's Klingon Mission (2011)
Benny's Turkish Mission (2011)
- New mission: Speak Turkish in two months!
- First week in Istanbul, where I live & first (video) attempt at Turkish!
- Getting by a few weeks into learning a language: my Turkish haircut (& ear burning) experience
- Why Turkish isn’t as hard as you think!
- Istanbul not Constantinople, Benny’s music video in Turkish
Benny's Mandarin Mission (2012)
- Benny travels China: the real point of the mission to speak Mandarin as quickly as possible
- Language Mission: Mandarin in 3 months!
- Benny’s first video attempt in Mandarin: 2 weeks after starting
- The only way to get far quickly is to get out of your comfort zone (my typical day learning Mandarin)
- Progress report: Thoughts on one month of learning Mandarin & some FAQs
- Benny’s 1 month level of Mandarin: Lantern festival interviews!
- The underestimated usefulness of pre-fluency (My 2 month Mandarin video)
- The simple guide to adding captions/subtitles to Youtube videos: My 2.5 month Mandarin video
- Mandarin level up mission (Singapore edition)
- Improving Mandarin for Singapore visit
- Interview in Mandarin with TV presenter and Chinese teacher Yangyang
Benny's 10-Language Mission (2012)
- My Polyglot Summer mission: Improve TEN languages to the next level (with lots of videos)
- Mid-summer language mission update! (Clues of next mission coming)
Two polyglots speak a dozen languages in a mall in Ohio: Benny and Moses level up!
- Fluent in 3 months: 11 language polyglot overview of the website
Benny's Arabic Mission (2012)
- Learning Egyptian Arabic to fluency in 3 months… in Brazil! Benny’s new language mission!
- How to start learning a language: Full account of day 1 of my #Fi3M mission
- Solving specific problems rather than trying to learn everything: My first ever video in Arabic (reading)
- The most important skill a traditional learning approach will never teach you (+2 month Arabic video)
- How I learned to speak Arabic while living in Brazil
- Standard Arabic or Local Dialect – Which Should You Learn First?
- Typical day learning Arabic for the Irish polyglot
- Watch Benny Speaking in Arabic
Benny's Polish in 5 Hours Mission (2013)
Benny's Japanese Mission (2013)
- Japanese project: Reach fluency in 3 months… in Spain [INTRO VIDEO]
- English words in Japanese: Music video with Japanese learners
- First month learning Japanese: How things are going so far, initial impressions of Japanese, and Burning Questions for Benny
- Very quick look at Benny’s current Japanese level
- Benny’s Japanese: Skype conversation over the half-way point [+ new language discussion channel]
- Benny’s first time speaking Japanese in person? Not quite!
- Japanese project conclusion: Wrapping up the learning part & getting ready to travel
Benny's American Accent Mission (2013)
- The American Accent mission: Learning about phonetics and sentence rhythm in English to help with OTHER language projects!
- The American accent mission: Singing Sinatra, and getting phonemes corrected
Brian Kwong's German Mission (2013)
Scott and Vat's “Year Without English” Mission (2013-2014)
- A fluent in 3 months mission from the outside: Scott and Vat’s first week speaking only Spanish
- A Year Without Speaking English
Lauren's Esperanto Mission (2014)
- New language mission!
- Week 1 of a monoglot’s first language learning journey (Benny coaches his girlfriend to learn Esperanto)
- My girlfriend learns Esperanto: Week 2 update and spontaneous conversation!
- Benny & Lauren’s plane, train & automobile travels: Week 3 of Esperanto learning
- Week 4 of Lauren’s project: Chat in Esperanto
- Lauren’s Esperanto project: Week 5 on Skype
- 6 biggest lessons from learning to speak my first non-native language [Final video]
Lauren's Russian Mission (2015)
- New Mission: Russian in 2 Months
- Lauren’s One Month Russian Update
- What’s it like to start learning a language?: Lauren’s 6 Week Update
- My system for learning the Russian cases (with examples)
Holly's Portuguese Mission (2016)
- New Mission: Introducing Holly’s Portuguese in 3 Months Mission
- Portuguese in 3 Months Mission: Day 0 Video
- Portuguese in 3 Months Mission: 1 Month Update
- Portuguese in 3 Months Mission: 2 Month Update
- How I Learned Portuguese in 3 Months (Mission Complete!)
James's Month Without English (2017)
- New Mission: One Month Without English!
- Nerves, Tears and a Breakthrough: 2 Weeks Without Speaking English
- The Amazing Moment Speaking German Finally Clicked [Mission Complete!]
And finally... One of the best ways to learn a new language is with podcasts. Read more about how to use podcasts to learn a language.